What is the legislative and regulatory intent behind charter schools?
It is the intent of the Arkansas General Assembly, and of these rules, to provide opportunities for teachers, parents, pupils, and community members to establish and maintain public schools that operate independently from the existing structure of local school districts as a method to accomplish the following:
- Improve student learning;
- Increase learning opportunities for all students, with special emphasis on expanding learning experiences for students who are identified as low-achieving;
- Encourage the use of different and innovative teaching methods;
- Create new professional opportunities for teachers, including the opportunity to be responsible for the learning program at the school site;
- Provide parents and pupils with expanded choices in the types of educational opportunities that are available within the public school system; and
- Hold the schools established under this chapter accountable for meeting measurable student achievement standards.
Source: Ark. Code Ann. § 6-23-201
« Back to FAQs