English Language Learners
- provide assistance through the Teacher Center Coordinators for professional development of teachers and administrators in the implementation of effective English as a Second Language (ESL) program design and delivery
- assist, upon request, with ACSIP program planning for ELLs
- coordinate ESL professional development training
- convene regional meetings of ESL personnel to discuss strategies and share resources used to instruct ELLs under the Common Core State Standards and implement and assess the Arkansas State Board of Education adopted English Language Proficiencies
- provide on-site technical assistance addressing ESL techniques and strategies
ESL Curriculum and Instruction
Please visit the Curriculum and Instruction Unit's Main Page to view the latest ADE information on Curriculum and Instruction in Arkansas.
English Language Proficiencies
ADE English Language Proficiencies (Revised 2014)
On March 20, 2014, the Arkansas State Board of Education approved the Council of Chief State School Officers’ (CCSSO) English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards for Arkansas English Language Learners in Grades K - 12. For the benefit of Arkansas educators, the ELPs are presented in a format similar to existing Arkansas curriculum framework documents. The ELP Student Learning Expectations (SLE) in this document are categorized under three strands and three content standards. The order of the SLEs for each grade level was formulated using the Alternate Organization of the ELP Standards, which is found in the CCSSO ELP document.
The Refrigerator Curriculum for grades K-8 contains grade-specific concepts and skills that parents can use to prepare their children and support instruction in the classroom. The grade-level lists are aligned to the Common Core State Standards and Arkansas Curriculum Frameworks. The Refrigerator Curriculum is a sample and does not include everything that will be taught throughout the school year.
Please click on one of the links below to view your child’s grade-level learning expectations:
- Kindergarten - (en español)
- First Grade - (en español)
- Second Grade - (en español)
- Third Grade - (en español)
- Fourth Grade - (en español)
- Fifth Grade - (en español)
- Sixth Grade - (en español)
- Seventh Grade - (en español)
- Eighth Grade - (en español)
Smart Core / Core
More information on Smart Core/Core including Spanish versions of the Smart Core Informed Consent Form, Smart Core Course Code List, and Smart Core Waiver Form may be downloaded by visiting the Curriculum and Instruction unit's Smart Core/Core Page.
ESL Student Assessment
Please visit the Assessment Unit's Main Page to view the latest information on student assessment in Arkansas.
The English Language Development Assessment (ELDA) tests English Language Learners (ELL) or Limited English Proficient (LEP) students to determine their level of proficiency in the English Language. More information on the ELDA, including ancillary materials, can be viewed by visiting the English Language Development Assessment Page.