The Arkansas State Legislature enacted Act 1294 of the 2013 regular session to ensure that children with dyslexia have their needs met by all Arkansas public school systems. This act was codified as A.C.A. § 6-41-601. This code defines dyslexia, describes required screening and intervention, and lists required actions of the state, education cooperatives, and school districts.
No later than the 2014-15 school year, all teachers must receive professional awareness on the indicators of dyslexia and the science behind teaching students with dyslexia. The Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) is currently providing professional development for dyslexia regional contacts at each education cooperative.
The ADE is also currently researching programs of study and certification for dyslexia therapists. No later than the 2015-16 academic year, a school district shall have individuals to serve as dyslexia interventionists.
The ADE has established an email address specifically for dyslexia communication; please email all dyslexia questions or concerns to ADE.Dyslexia@arkansas.gov.
For more information, please contact:
- Dyslexia Resource Guide Posted 8/7/2014 pdf
- Dyslexia Therapist Training and Approved Programs Fact Sheet Posted 8/6/2014 pdf
- Dyslexia Program Approval Form Posted 8/5/2014 pdf
- Universal Readiness Screener Fact Sheet Posted 8/4/2014 pdf
- Arkansas Rapid Naming Screener Posted 8/3/2014 pdf
- Dyslexia Act 1294 Presentation Posted 8/2/2014 pdf