Professional Licensure Standards Board
The Professional Licensure Standards Board (PLSB) was created by Act 846 of 2007 and amended by Act 1045 of 2011. The Board is comprised of 13 voting members appointed by the State Board of Education for a three-year term and two non-voting members from the Department appointed by the Commissioner.
Pursuant to Ark. Code Ann. § 6-17-422, the Professional Licensure Standards Board developed minimum college level preparatory and grade point average requirements for all teachers. With the assistance of the Department of Education and the Department of Higher Education, the Board shall review the audits of the teacher education programs in the state to determine if the programs allow graduates to become licensed.
The Board also established a code of ethics for administrators and teachers in educational environments for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. The Code of Ethics is administered by a five member ethics subcommittee composed of PLSB members. The Code of Ethics is governed by Ark. Code Ann.§ 6-17-428 and the administrative rules adopted by the State Board of Education set forth the procedures for receiving, considering, and investigating complaints regarding the unethical behavior of licensed school personnel. The Professional Licensure Standards Board makes recommendations for enforcement to the State Board of Education.
PLSB meets quarterly on the second Friday of the month at 9:00 am in the Multi-Agency Complex building (Big MAC building) at One Capitol Mall, Room 4C-216, in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The next PLSB meeting is scheduled for:
- Friday, February 8, 2013
For more information, please contact:
- Ark. Code Ann. § 6-17-422 Posted 6/1/2011 file
- Ark. Code Ann.§ 6-17-428 Posted 11/16/2011 pdf
- Case Studies from 2008 - 2011 Posted 7/28/2011 pdf
- Allegations and Resolutions 2008-2010 Posted 5/10/2012 file
- 2010-2011 Allegations Report Posted 7/28/2011 pdf
- 2009-2010 Allegations Report Posted 8/1/2010 file
- 2008-2009 Allegations Report Posted 7/13/2009 file
- PLSB Board Members Posted 2/15/2013 pdf
- 2012 Arkansas Code of Ethics PowerPoint Presentation Posted 7/31/2012 file
- Rules Governing Code of Ethics for Arkansas Educators Posted 1/12/2013 pdf