Professional Licensure Standards Board
The Professional Licensure Standards Board (PLSB) was created by Act 846 of 2007 (original act and amendments are codified at Ark. Code §§ 6-17-422 and 6-17-428). The Board is comprised of 13 voting members appointed by the State Board of Education for a three-year term and three non-voting members. Two non-voting members are appointed by the Commissioner of the Department of Education and one non-voting member is appointed by the Director of the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education.
Pursuant to Ark. Code Ann. § 6-17-422, the Professional Licensure Standards Board developed minimum college level preparatory and grade point average requirements for all teachers. With the assistance of the Department of Education and the Department of Higher Education, the Board shall review the audits of the teacher education programs in the state to determine if the programs allow graduates to become licensed.
The Board also established a code of ethics for administrators and teachers in educational environments for students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. The Code of Ethics is administered by a five-member ethics subcommittee composed of PLSB members. The Code of Ethics is governed by Ark. Code Ann.§ 6-17-428 and the administrative rules adopted by the State Board of Education set forth the procedures for receiving, considering, and investigating complaints regarding the unethical behavior of licensed school personnel. The Professional Licensure Standards Board makes recommendations for enforcement to the State Board of Education.
The PLSB meets quarterly on the first Friday of the month at 9:00 am in the Multi-Agency Complex building (Big MAC building) at One Capitol Mall, Room 4C-216, in Little Rock, Arkansas.
PLSB meetings scheduled for 2014 are:
Once the meeting minutes have been approved you may click the meeting date to view the minutes. Minutes from previous years may be accessed by clicking Archived PLSB Minutes in the top left section of this page.
For more information, please contact:
- Code of Ethics Case Studies 2014 PowerPoint (click read only to open) Posted 8/8/2014 file
- Code of Ethics Case Studies 2014 - PDF Posted 8/8/2014 pdf
- Rules Governing Code of Ethics for Arkansas Educators Posted 7/1/2014 pdf
- Ark. Code Ann. § 6-17-422 Posted 8/16/2013 pdf
- Ark. Code Ann.§ 6-17-428 Posted 8/16/2013 pdf
- Allegations and Resolutions 2008-2010 Posted 5/10/2012 file
- Case Studies from 2008 - 2011 Posted 7/28/2011 pdf
- 2010-2011 Allegations Report Posted 7/28/2011 pdf
- 2009-2010 Allegations Report Posted 8/1/2010 file
- 2008-2009 Allegations Report Posted 7/13/2009 file