Principal Evaluation System
Pursuant to A.C.A. § 6-17-2802 (TESS) provides direction for evaluation at all levels of instructional leadership. As per law, the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE) will provide technical assistance to school districts for developing and implementing evaluation frameworks for administrators. Administrator evaluation will parallel teacher evaluation in regards to ensuring valid and reliable measures for performance ratings and the weight of student performance and growth in these determinations.
Work on administrator evaluation began in 2009 when legislation was passed to create a system of leadership development. Act 222 of 2009 Regular Session created the School Leadership Coordinating Council. The purpose of the Council is to serve as a central body to coordinate the leadership development system efforts across the state.
One task of the Council was to recommend an evaluation system for principals. During the 2010-2011 school year, the Council worked with Dr. Connie Kamm, senior consultant with Dr. Doug Reeves' Leadership and Learning Center. Based on the ISLLC standards, and other leadership systems, the group created a framework for a principal evaluation system. The framework included a 4-tier performance rating, rubrics and descriptors for each of the six standards. Professional growth plans and other resources were also created for the system.
The ADE is sponsoring a two-year pilot for the principal evaluation system with ten school districts during the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 school years. Dr. Kamm has conducted the training for the principals and superintendents of the pilot districts.
ADE will support legislation in the 2013 legislative session to implement the principal evaluation system. If successful, ADE will promulgate rules with the same process as followed in the Teacher evaluation rules. Training will be provided on the new principal evaluation system to all administrators in the summer of 2013. Districts must fully implement the new system in the 2014-2015 school year.
Principal Evaluation System Forms
- Overview - PDF | Word
- Glossary - PDF | Word
- Timelines by Category - PDF | Word
- Form A - Rubric - PDF | Word
- Form A - Rubric (Interactive Form) - PDF
- Form B - Professional Growth Plan - PDF | Word
- Form B - Professional Growth Plan (Interactive Form) - PDF
- Form B - Professional Growth Plan (Discipline Sample) - PDF
- Form B - Professional Growth Plan (Literacy Sample) - PDF
- Form C - Intensive Growth Plan - PDF | Word
- Form C - Intensive Growth Plan (Interactive Form) - PDF
- Form D - Reflective Narrative - PDF | Word
- Form D - Reflective Narrative (Interactive Form) - PDF
- Form E - Staff Survey - PDF | Word
- Form E - Staff Survey (Interactive Form) - PDF
- Coaching Protocol - PDF | Word
- Coaching Questions - PDF | Word
For more information, please contact: