Arkansas Professional Pathway to Educator Licensure (APPEL)
Becoming an Educator Event
If you are interested in a career focused on inspiring young people, making a positive difference in your community, and growing as a professional, then you are invited to ADE's Becoming an Educator Event. This annual event will be held from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, November 22, at the Holiday Inn - Airport, located at 3201 Bankhead Drive in Little Rock.
You can find more information and how to register for this event by clicking here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/becoming-an-arkansas-teacher-tickets-1374258465
We hope to see you there!
The Arkansas Professional Pathway to Educator Licensure (APPEL), formerly known as ADE Non-Traditional Licensure, is an alternative route to teacher licensure administered by the Arkansas Department of Education. Enrollment in this program allows a candidate with a bachelor’s degree or higher to be employed as a classroom teacher while completing the necessary requirements for a Standard Arkansas Teaching License.
The program is a two-year preparation track that includes:
- Appropriate employment as a classroom teacher
- Evaluation and feedback via the state’s teacher evaluation model
- Face to face and online Instructional Modules
- Mentoring for the duration of time in the program
- On-the-job professional learning
- Culminates with a submission to the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards
More about the APPEL program’s mission and vision can be found here.
Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher, and must have passed the state mandated assessments. More information about APPEL program admission requirements can be found here.
Each APPEL participant (as Teacher of Record in a classroom) is also assigned a certified mentor who provides support and focused feedback to improve teacher quality. APPEL participants are mentored for the duration of their time in the program.
Upon successful completion of the program, participants receive a Standard Arkansas teaching license.
Further information can be found by clicking the links above or those links found under Related Files on the right.
To apply for the APPEL program, please complete the APPEL Online Application.
For more information, please contact:
Little Rock, AR 72201
- APPEL Brochure Posted 12/16/2014 pdf
- Rules Governing Non-Traditional Licensure Posted 7/1/2014 pdf
- APPEL 2014 Application Checklist Posted 4/4/2014 pdf
- Rules Governing Educator Licensure Posted 11/17/2013 pdf
- APPEL 2014 Admission Requirements Posted 10/30/2013 pdf
- APPEL Introduction, Mission and Vision Posted 10/29/2013 pdf