Renewing a Standard Educator License
- The standard, five-year Arkansas Educator License has a beginning date of January 1 of the year it is issued and an expiration date of December 31 of the fifth year
- Educators may begin the renewal process at any time during the fifth year of their educator license
- The required fee for the renewal of a standard educator license may be paid online
Professional Development and Standard Educator License Renewal
All teachers and administrators must be able to document 60 hours of professional development annually for the renewal of their standard teaching license. All professional development must be completed within either of the following cycles during each year:
- June 1 to May 31 - OR -
- July 1 to June 30
The 60 hours of professional development must be completed annually regardless of employment status. Please remember that there will always be a way to renew your teaching license should you not be able to complete the required professional development.
Individuals are strongly encouraged to download a copy of the current Rules for Professional Development and become thoroughly familiar with information regarding specific professional development activities that are to be included in the 60 hours of professional development required annually, receiving extra professional development credit for certain college level coursework, approved focus areas for professional development, menu of ways to earn professional development credit in the approved focus areas, etc. Individuals are also strongly encouraged to download a copy of the current Rules Governing Educator Licensure.
Teachers and administrators attached to public schools, education cooperatives, public charter schools, the Arkansas School for Math and Sciences, the Arkansas School for the Deaf or the Arkansas School for the Blind will work through their employer to acquire the necessary professional development on an annual basis. The employer will be responsible for maintaining verification of the professional development completed for each teacher/administrator and reporting to ADE annually for the renewal of teaching licenses. Instructions for the reporting of professional development to ADE will come through a Commissioner’s Memo.
Teachers and administrators attached to private schools, Arkansas colleges/universities or other agencies or organizations that employ licensed teachers, will be responsible for working through those employers to complete their required professional development each year or finding professional development opportunities on their own. Forms for the verification of professional development and teaching experience necessary for the renewal of a standard teaching license and for verifying specific professional development activities are available in the related files section on this page.
Individuals that are not employed will be responsible for securing the required 60 hours of professional development annually. The submission of paperwork documenting the completion of the required professional development each year will not occur until time of renewal. At that time, the teacher will submit the completed application form for the renewal of the teaching license and attach the forms for verifying individual professional development activities and/or experience, for each year of the previous five (5) years.
Professional Development Forms
Verification form for Individual Professional Development Training - This form may be used to document a single professional development activity. While this form may be used by all teachers, it will be most helpful for those teachers that are not employed, as a way of verifying completion of the 60 hours of professional development required annually. This form will accompany the application for licensure renewal, only for those teachers not employed.
Verification of Professional Development for Renewal - This form may be used to verify professional development and the required work experience necessary for the renewal of a standard Arkansas teaching license for teachers that are employed in non-public school settings (or other agencies/organizations requiring a licensed teacher) and institutions of higher education. This form will accompany the application for the renewal of a teaching license.
For more information, please contact:
- Educator Licensure Application (2013) Posted 1/1/2013 pdf
- Rules for Educator Licensure with Emergency Licensure Rules Posted 12/12/2012 pdf
- Rules Governing Professional Development Posted 4/16/2012 pdf
- Request for Professional Development for College Credit Posted 1/23/2013 pdf
- Verification form for Individual Professional Development Training Posted 1/23/2013 pdf
- Verification of Professional Development for License Renewal Posted 1/23/2013 pdf
- Professional Development Request Form for National Board Certified Teachers Posted 1/23/2013 pdf
- Professional Development Request Form for National Board Professional Teaching Standards Candidates Posted 1/23/2013 pdf